The Covenant Society
The Covenant Society has been established to recognize the thoughtfulness and generosity of alumni and friends who have remembered Arcadia University in their estate plans. Through the Covenant Society, the University has an opportunity to recognize and thank these donors during their lifetimes. This society replaces the 1853 Associates and the Covenant Associates and honors donors who fund charitable life income agreements benefiting the University, have advised us that they have remembered Arcadia University in their will, or benefit Arcadia with other planned gifts.
Members of the Covenant Society provide a bright future for Arcadia University and generations of students. It is through the vision and generosity of Covenant Society members that we can fulfill Arcadia’s Promise of offering our students a distinctively global, integrative and personal learning experience. Through the years, many alumni who benefited from their liberal arts education, nurturing relationships with faculty and innovative learning experiences on campus and abroad, have demonstrated their appreciation for their Beaver/Arcadia education through thoughtful and generous planned gifts. These gifts have increased the University’s endowment which provides an important source of income to address Arcadia’s priorities for scholarship assistance for bright and deserving students, funds for faculty development, opportunities for facility improvements and funding for academic program development.
As a Covenant Society member, you will be invited to special events of the University, and given special recognition in the Annual Report. You are truly making a difference to our current and future students.
How to Join
The following types of commitments to Arcadia University qualify you for membership in the Covenant Society:
- By establishing a life income gift naming Arcadia University as the ultimate beneficiary, you not only benefit Arcadia, but benefit yourself as well. In most cases, life income gifts offer donors financial advantages, like an increase in income and effective rate of return. Life income gifts are generally irrevocable and almost always provide you with an immediate tax benefit. You also receive the joy of making a gift that promises to shape and inspire the future.
- There are several types of life income gift plans that you can establish to benefit Arcadia University:
- A Charitable Gift Annuity is a simple contract and is irrevocable. In exchange for a gift of cash, marketable securities or other assets, Arcadia University will agree to pay one or two annuitants a fixed sum regularly for their lifetime.
- There are two types of Charitable Remainder Trusts, the Charitable Remainder Unitrust and the Charitable Remainder Annuity Trust, both of which can have significant tax benefits for you as well as life income provisions.
- There are two types of Charitable Lead Trusts, a Grantor Lead Trust and a Non-Grantor Lead Trust. Both types provide an income to Arcadia University for a specified period of time, after which the assets are returned, either to the grantor or to designated beneficiaries.
- By including Arcadia University in your estate plan you will not only receive the satisfaction of contributing to the welfare of Arcadia University, but also can create a tax benefit for your estate.
- There are several ways you can use your will to make a gift to Arcadia University:
- Name Arcadia University as a residuary beneficiary, that is, leave the balance of your estate to the University after all your specific bequests are honored.
- Leave a specific bequest of money, property or a percentage of your estate to Arcadia University.
- Make Arcadia University a contingent beneficiary, meaning that, should your primary beneficiaries predecease you, your estate, or some portion of it, would then be left to Arcadia University instead of passing to unintended beneficiaries or, possibly, the state in which you reside.
The Institutional Advancement staff will be most happy to work with you and/or your attorney or other financial advisor to accomplish any of these goals.
450 S. Easton Road
Glenside, PA 19038
Phone: (215) 572-2088